I believe that people will Accept the Tablet PC idea of the stylus as an interface. Although mainstream users may not abandon keyboards immediately, People are getting more comfortable with using a pen interface. Because of that and the growth in PDA use, the Tablet as a form factor is more accessible to people now than it would have been three or four years ago. For the concept to be successful, customers have to feel they're gaining functionality, not giving up functionality. They expect functionality comparable to what they get with a notebook or their desktop PC. The Tablet PC hopes to provide that level of performance, which is more than what people need in most mobile situations.
Tablet PC Specs
Microsoft and Their Partners have not released the exact specs of the Tablet PC but here is a preview of what to expect.
- CPU: Low Powered CPU. Eg. Transmeta Crusoe Processor, Intel Mobile Pentium 3 / 4
- Network: Wireless Connectivity through 802.11
- RAM: Atleast 128 MB onboard
- Input: Stylus Pen using Advanced Hand Writing Recognition Software
- Weight: Around 3 to 5 lbs
- OS: Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- Applications: Adobe Systems, Corel Corporations, Groove Networks, Micriosoft Office, among others are developing customized applications like, Internet browsing, Email, Downloading MP3s, Playing games, and Multimedia audio/video, PIM apps (Calendar, Calculator, Note, Alarm Clock, Address Book, TODO List).
- Availability: Second Half of 2002
- Pricing: Priced Competitively along with Standard Full Function PC's.
List of Partners
Computer manufacturers: Acer Inc., Compaq Computer Corp., Fujitsu PC Corp., Toshiba America Information Systems, FIC, NEC Corporation, PAD Products Inc., Tatung Company, ViewSonic Corp.
Application developers: Adobe Systems Incorporated, Allscripts Healthcare Solutions Inc., Amicore, Autodesk Inc., Corel Corporation, Groove Networks, LexisNexis, Zinio Systems Inc., Office XP, Visio®.
Microprocessor companies: Intel Corp. and Transmeta Corp , VIA Technologies Inc.
Component companies: FinePoint Innovations Inc., Phoenix Technologies, Silicon Motion Inc., Silver Cloud Manufacturing Co., Wacom Technology Co., ATI Technologies Inc., E-Pen InMotion Inc.
Design and Manufacturing: Flextronics Design.
>> Other Tablet PCs