• Tech News
  • Deals
  • Prices
  • A Guru's World
  • CPU/Memory Watch
  • Site Info
  • SL Newsletter
    Recieve bi-weekly updates on news, new articles, and more

Forum home My SLBoards (Control Panel)View the calendar View the members list Read the FAQ Search the forums

Go Back   SLCentral Forum > Technology > Consumer Electronics
    User Name
    Password

Old 11-29-01, 11:23 PM
    ActiveTuning Partner

Dave is on a distinguished road
    Send a message via AIM to Dave
    Default What's the BEST PDA handheld out there?

What do you think is the best and why? Try to put all the aspects (Ex: price, battery life, color, etc, etc) into perspective. I want to know your thoughts.

Old 11-29-01, 11:40 PM
    Unregistered

http://www.slcentral.com/reviews/ha.../handera/trgpro
    http://www.slcentral.com/reviews/ha...pring/visoredge
    http://www.slcentral.com/reviews/ha...g/visorplatinum

Your search engine kinda sucks, but it was pretty straightfoward after finding my way to the "peripherals" review section!
    Old 11-29-01, 11:43 PM
    ActiveTuning Partner

Dave is on a distinguished road
    Send a message via AIM to Dave

Haha thanks for the nice comments on the search engine . Jk. We are working on something new for that in the next upcoming months. I know, it's a while, but we'll have to makedue till then.

So why did you send me all of our reviews?

I want to know what YOU think is the best one!

Old 11-30-01, 05:21 AM
    SLCentral.com Staff Member

jonnyGURU is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to jonnyGURU

Like you an I were talking about earlier, the best PDA depends on your needs.

I wanted color and the ability to easily use SmartMedia. PocketPC2000 qwould've been nice, but PalmOS is not as bloated and leaves more system RAM for more important things.

This is I went with the Handspring Visor Prism.

Besides, for another $79, I can get a digital camera aattachment. Wacky!
    Old 11-30-01, 08:38 AM
    SLTrout

Dan is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to Dan

I reccomend the Palm Vx, as I have been using one for a few months now... You cant beat PalmOS for PDA's, its easy to code for, and not as bloated as windows.
    Old 11-30-01, 01:25 PM

UnReBorn is off the scale
    Default Palm m105

I bought a Palm m105 about one month ago, and it's by far the best purchase I've made in a long, long time.

The way I look at it, MOST people will find the "sweet spot" of Palm computing with this unit. I've shopped around, and even the cheapest comparable Handsprings are more expensive than this unit ($119 CDN).

It has the standard 8 MB Palm RAM, which is better than the m100 by a long shot, but has a slower processor than the m500 and m505 (16 MHz processor v.s. 32 MHz processors).

I feel that you really shouldn't EVER buy the m500, because it is essentially an m125 with a faster processor. Furthermore, the m125 is essentially an m105 with a MMC slot!

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you don't have $300 + to spend on the higher level Palm products, the m105 is the way to go. I think that Palm has created an excellent product line, not only for its quality, but even moreso for its DIVERSITY.

If I may digress from the topic just slightly...

There is literally a Palm device for everyone, and every budget (only new models will be used with examples):

m100
    =====
    Screen: 16 Shade Grey
    Memory: 2 MB
    Processor: 16 MHz Dragonball EZ (sorry if names are wrong)
    MMC Slot: No
    Hotlink/Peripheral Slot: Yes
    Hotlink Cradle: No
    Advantages Over Previous Model: This is the base model!
    Target Market: Low-budget newcomers to the Palm arena & people who are giving Palms as gifts

m105
    =====
    Memory: 8 MB
    Processor: 16 MHz Dragonball EZ
    MMC Slot: No
    Hotlink Cradle: Yes
    Advantages Over Previous Model: Extra 6 MB of memory, included HotSync cradle
    Target Market: Newcomers to the Palm arena with a generous budget & average user

m125
    =====
    Processor: 16 MHz Dragonball EZ
    MMC Slot: Yes
    Advantages Over Previous Model: MMC Slot
    Target Market: Power user on a budget

m500
    =====
    Processor: 32 MHz Dragonball GT
    Advantages Over Previous Model: 16 MHz increase in processor speed, new processor design
    Target Market: Business user & power user with a generous budget

m505
    =====
    Screen: Full Color (exact number escapes me at the moment)
    Processor: 32 MHz Dragonball GT
    Advantages Over Previous Model: Color screen
    Target Market: Millionares, 1337 users with no budget, losers who need a device to brag about, business user

If I've botched any facts, please correct me; nicely!

IMHO, the m105 is the best price/performance, with the m125 coming in a close second, and m505 in third.

Later dudes,

UNREBORN
    Old 12-01-01, 11:38 PM
    Forgot Plan

amistadcliffman is off the scale
    Talking What I think, eh?

Well, the best is the palm m100 cause I'm going to get it free free when I go test drive an infinity.
    Old 12-18-01, 08:34 PM

jadison is off the scale

Personally I think my Palm IIIxe had everything I needed for daily use. I bought a modem, connected to my (previous)ISP: Earthlink, d/l news/events/weather/info off the net including E-Mail and saved it for future reading wherever I was.
    Unfortunately, the screen cracked after an accident at work , but I plan on getting another one, hopefully cheaper!

I've tried the Compaq iPaq, and I must say, that's a sweeeet PDA. I was able to surf the net wirelessly, had an extra 1GB HD attached to it, played MP3's, 3D games, and the usual Office Apps. ran perfectly fine. I just couldn't afford one of those just yet...not important enough, and like what was said above, PocketPC is bloated.

-=jd=-
    Old 12-18-01, 10:22 PM

mikey8270 is off the scale
    Send a message via AIM to mikey8270

I think that the Handspring Visor Deluxe is the best. Here is a review written by me and a friend for an only old site of mine (www.visorstop.com).

Quote:
    A few years ago some of the people who helped to create the original Palm Pilot handheld computers left to form their own company. Their startup company was named Handspring and their goal was clear. To create a handheld computer that improves upon the palms flaws while maintaining its mass appeal. The results of these efforts have been fabulous.

The Visor and Visor Deluxe in a nutshell are advances handheld organizers. They have the ability to sync with the computer and beam each other information. These particular organizers run the palmOS and have much more in common with a real computer than a simple organizer. In fact, the palmOS has been adapted to run anything from games to spreadsheets to e-books.

From an architectural standpoint there is little difference between the Visor and Palm Pilots. They both use a tried and true button layout that allows fast access to a variety of important programs. Each uses a standard infrared port to "beam" applications, and they both run applications written for the palmOS. The insides, though, are another story.

The base model in the Visor line (Visor/Visor Deluxe) includes two-megabytes of ram. This is plenty if you are interested in keeping a calendar and address book as well as a couple downloaded programs stored in memory. For more advances usage, we recommend a Visor Deluxe which has a roomy eight-megabytes of ram. Additionally, the Visor Deluxe can be ordered in a number of stylish colors and comes with a leather case.

One thing that has always been a selling point of handheld computers such as these is their incredible battery life. The Visor is no exception. Lasting approximately two months, the Visor will last you through even the longest flights or business trips. Other distinguishing features include a backlight, (it only functions well in very dark areas though) a built in microphone, (not used directly by the unit itself), and the springboard expansion slot.

Using a proprietary expansion method, the Visor can be expanded in a multitude of ways. In fact, this feature alone is the real dividing point between the Visor and its competition. Already available are modems for browsing the web and emailing on screen, an expansion pack from improving the ram by ten-megabytes, and a digital camera module that allows for basic digital photography and storage. Already a number of companies are announcing future modules being released. A company online has released the OnmiRemote module which allows for the Visor to be used as a universal remote control. Xircom is designing a number of modules including a wireless modem, which allows for email on the go. The possibilities are virtually endless.

The slot is places on the back of the Visor and loads modules like a Game Boy. The software on the modules load instantly and seamlessly making operation extremely simple. Future modules promise to cater to both home-users and business-users alike with e-books, GPS, and more.

Unfortunately, the Visor is not perfect. The build often seems weak and poorly constructed.
    The Visor's screen scratched easily in tests and did not perform well in dimly lit rooms. The case
    Included with the Visor Deluxe is clumsy and did not do well under certain conditions. Still, the Visor is a definite improvement over anything seen in the past, and that makes it a great buy. The 150-250 (depending on which model you buy) price-tag is lower than the competition, and the software is superb. VisorStop.Com gives the Visor and Visor Deluxe a rating of:

Rating: 9/10

Prices for this PDA have now dropped significantly, many many more SpringBoard modules have been released.

mikey
    Old 12-18-01, 10:31 PM

mikey8270 is off the scale
    Send a message via AIM to mikey8270

hmm i just read through that and realized how many typos there are we wrote it a long time ago, when the Visor 1st came out.
    Old 04-15-02, 03:24 PM
    Dancing Hero

Cutriss is off the scale

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm just wondering how much opinions have changed in the last four months...
    Quote:
    Originally posted by jadison
    I've tried the Compaq iPaq, and I must say, that's a sweeeet PDA. I was able to surf the net wirelessly, had an extra 1GB HD attached to it, played MP3's, 3D games, and the usual Office Apps. ran perfectly fine.
    Heh...well, I can do most of those. There aren't really many 3D games on the market right now for handheld devices, though - There's just too much engine overhead and the control scheme is difficult in such a small profile.

But my HandEra runs Office apps (spreadsheet and word processor), can use the IBM MicroDrive as well as sizeable CF and SD cards. I don't think SD will peak out before 2 GB. And I can connect to networks wirelessly with mine as well, using a CF 802.11b adapter. Mine doesn't play MP3s, but you can bet that once PalmOS 5 hits the market, HandEra (If they're still around) and every other Palm manufacturer out there will start churning out models based on StrongARM and other (Maybe SH4) processors. Then you can decode MP3 in software, and don't need the silly hardware hack like Sony has.

And so far, all the PC/phone combos I've seen running anything but PalmOS have been a far cry from useful...I haven't gotten to try the Samsung I300 (Not sure that I want to), but we're supposed to get a Treo soon to use, and that'll provide us good background to put against the Kyocera QCP-6035.

Last edited by Cutriss : 04-15-02 at 03:26 PM.
    Old 04-15-02, 04:50 PM

jadison is off the scale

Well, personally this has become my new dreamPDA: Click Me!
    The Palm m130, it has everything I want and need in a nice little package and for a cost I can afford. I've looked at other PDA's and yeah, sure if I had an extra couple hundred dollars I'd get an iPAQ...but I dont.

Check that PDA out if you're like me, and you're on a budget but need a PDA that works well in all environments and suits your needs (and wants ).
    Old 04-15-02, 05:02 PM
    Dancing Hero

Cutriss is off the scale

I like how the new ones (The m1xx series) seem to be more of a lifestyle tool. I think Palm really needs to try and tap into that market more. Organizers for the common people have traditionally been crappy, even at $150. The Sharp Wizard was neat in its day, but it was still a handheld organizer, with barely functional PC-linking software. The Palm style of computing just works, and works well. I think if Palm were able to counter the image of "crappy $20 organizers", they'd do very well in the low-end market.
    Old 04-15-02, 08:50 PM

jadison is off the scale

Agreed. Hopefully in the next 5 years this can be accomplished, as the market competition is growing between MSFT's PocketPC-based PDA's and PalmOS-based PDA's.

What I also like about the m130 is that it has support for Microsoft-related apps (i.e. Excel, Powerpoint, Word) which is handy for the times I work with them.
    Old 04-16-02, 04:55 AM
    Dancing Hero

Cutriss is off the scale

Quote:
    Originally posted by jadison
    What I also like about the m130 is that it has support for Microsoft-related apps (i.e. Excel, Powerpoint, Word) which is handy for the times I work with them.
    QuickOffice is available for any Palm-based PDA, not just the m130. It comes free (licensed) with the HandEra 330, and you can purchase it from the company's website.