• Tech News
  • Deals
  • Prices
  • A Guru's World
  • CPU/Memory Watch
  • Site Info
  • SL Newsletter
    Recieve bi-weekly updates on news, new articles, and more

Forum home My SLBoards (Control Panel)View the calendar View the members list Read the FAQ Search the forums

Go Back   SLCentral Forum > Feedback > Content Feedback
    User Name
    Password

Old 11-13-01, 07:26 AM
    ActiveTuning Partner

Dave is on a distinguished road
    Send a message via AIM to Dave
    Default Poll #10: Should AMD go back to MHz rating?

Why did you vote why you did? You don't need to register to post a reply, but registering does have it's benefits, so why don't you come join our community

Old 11-13-01, 11:04 AM
    Senior Lazy member

BuRz is off the scale

first ; Where the POLL (again!)

Second; Denifitively a yes . This marketing strategy gonna cost there 1fst place on the cpu sales. Daddy and mommy dont want to enter in something they already dont understand to something that the not only dont understand a word but they also confusing
    them !!! For you and me , we dont care as long as we know how to deal with it ..
    Old 11-13-01, 11:26 AM
    Student-for-life

Paul is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to Paul Send a message via AIM to Paul

Quote:
    This marketing strategy gonna cost there 1fst place on the cpu sales

They never were in 1st place. I can see AMDs side too, though I also don't agree with it (I agree with you ). Think of it: you walk into a store, and know nothing about computers. You see one that says 1.8ghz, and one that says 1.53ghz. Which would you by? The 1.8, unless you were told specifically why the 1.53 is better, and then you get a 'lil confused. Realistically, the 1.53 is the better choice (arguably faster, and definetly cheaper), but unless they can get the numbers up there to go with the clock-speed, joe-smoe won't know that the one with the lower number turned out to be faster.
    Old 11-13-01, 01:36 PM
    SL.net Staff Flamer

AllUrBaseRbelong2Us is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to AllUrBaseRbelong2Us Send a message via AIM to AllUrBaseRbelong2Us

Well, I've got 2 opinions here. Ok, make that 3... or 4.. hell I don't know...

opinion 1: It sucks. I hate anything that uses fancy numbers or techno speak to lie about what it actually is.

opinion 2: AMD needs it. Intel built the P4 specifically to make AMD look bad STRICTLY BY NUMBERS. The XP rating works great as a trick to get them back in the game quickly.

opinion 3: I would rather see sales of AMD stuff retail its better hardware.

opinion 4: Anyone who knows there shit doesn't get a P4 to begin with. Why would it matter if it was rated at 1900? All of us know its a 1600MHz CPU. If someone doesn't know enough to know the difference, let them bask in their ignorance and get it thinking its a 1.9GHz CPU.
    Old 11-13-01, 03:51 PM
    Senior Lazy member

BuRz is off the scale

Quote:
    Originally posted by Paul

They never were in 1st place. I can see AMDs side too, though I also don't agree with it

iknow but i think this product have chance to go in 1 fst place .... i wish it!!! I think they have pretty damn good product . People liek when you talk about new technologie like the replacement of the ceramic with organic and plastic . And the price of these nice powerful little square is very cheap compare to a P4 .!!!!

so this is what i mean in your quote !
    Old 11-13-01, 04:52 PM
    ActiveTuning Partner

Dave is on a distinguished road
    Send a message via AIM to Dave

Quote:
    first ; Where the POLL (again!)

These polls in the content feedback forum are located on the actual site on the side column as well as http://www.systemlogic.net/polls.php

Old 11-14-01, 05:30 AM
    Unregistered

Cool

It's just confusing, even though the XP1800 mops the floor with 2 gig P4's. Computer folk know how great the Palomino chips are but I think the AMD model numbers will hurt sales.
    Old 11-16-01, 02:30 AM
    Unregistered

Thumbs up All good

I think it's just good, the XP rating seems to match the exact speed of a Pentium 4 (Northwood) with the matching megahertz.
    XP 1900+ = Northwood 1900MHz+. It's not that confusing either..
    Old 11-16-01, 03:09 AM
    Forgot Plan

amistadcliffman is off the scale
    Xmas

I think as has already been suggested, that the people who know what's going on will already know what it means and how it affects performance. For the rest of the people, I don't think it matters, where it need to matter. All alot of people just want to hear is which is better. Hopefully sales people know their stuff. Although I noticed the other day, our friends at BestBuy sold a person who didn't know anything a $80 pc100 256MB stick instead of the $15 pc133 256MB stick because the 'pc133 isn't compatable with pc100 systems'.

I have noticed you don't much see any ads or display's suggesting that the new system represents Mhz, but rather 'is comparible to' and the Mhz is usually listed as well.

I think it's working out great for AMD. Those of us who know will continue to buy. Budget buyer's continue to buy. And people who just want the best will start buying.
    Old 11-16-01, 04:20 AM
    SL.net Staff Flamer

AllUrBaseRbelong2Us is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to AllUrBaseRbelong2Us Send a message via AIM to AllUrBaseRbelong2Us

note:
    PC133 isn't compatible with all PC100 systems (yes its a fact, I've seen it happen)
    Old 11-16-01, 05:51 AM
    Senior Lazy member

BuRz is off the scale

Yeah it happen when you have put good memory , like Kingston or Crucial with cheap memory .....in that case put the same memory in the slot .

But it supposed to work , a pc133 in bus 100 gonna work in 100mhz . Buy the memory for your board , look at kingston.com or at the crucial web site and select your board manufacturer .
    Old 11-20-01, 05:49 PM

JohnnyGrog is off the scale
    Cool Show me the Benchmark!

AMD is using a market strategy which aids the average consumer to acquire a better performing product. There is as yet, no standard for overall performance. The speed of the CPU, is no longer the absolute standard of system performance, and stability.
    Old 11-21-01, 12:22 AM
    Unregistered

Cool kinda hokey but good.

Granted, the naming scheme is kind of hokey but, I think it's a good idea. Also true that anyone that knows their shit doesn't get a p4 in the first place. I think it's brilliaint in the fact that if joe blow comes into a bustbuy and looks at numbers and see's this and says ok that one must be better. It's the same as horsepower. They see more, they think the car is automatically faster. Anyways, it's got it's good side and a bad side. Dunno, I guess we'll see how long it lasts. I imagine AMD will stick with it. It doesn't by any means change my opinion about the company. I do have a problem with Intel for many reasons but, that's off subject sort of.

Heres to the microscope manufacturer! oh wait, they stopped making that cause its stupid!

Zero Point
    Old 11-21-01, 12:35 AM
    Unregistered

very well said indead very well said intel's microscope so why arn't the focusing on their chips any more ?

pz out

LithiumProphet
    Old 11-28-01, 03:24 PM
    Unregistered

Default P4 Rules

I think all the computer geeks out there, with your crappy AMD Linux box should just shut the hell up. The only reason AMD is any good, is to keep Intel honest with it's pricing.