• Tech News
  • Deals
  • Prices
  • A Guru's World
  • CPU/Memory Watch
  • Site Info
  • SL Newsletter
    Recieve bi-weekly updates on news, new articles, and more

Forum home My SLBoards (Control Panel)View the calendar View the members list Read the FAQ Search the forums

Go Back   SLCentral Forum > Feedback > Content Feedback
    User Name
    Password

View Poll Results: Did you like this Review?
    Yes 8 33.33%
    It was alright 6 25.00%
    No 10 41.67%
    Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-03, 08:58 AM
    Webmaster

stevecentral is on a distinguished road
    Default DVD Burner Roundup Review

Post your comments and questions on the DVD Burner Roundup Review

Old 11-09-03, 09:00 PM

billyjak is off the scale

I have the TDK burner and have burned at least 5 DVD-R disks already.
    I beleive it's your drive only.
    Making strong statements like that will damage a company.
    I have 2 disks right here to prove it, I gave 3 away as gifts.
    Old 11-09-03, 10:11 PM
    SLCentral Review Editor

AzNxViDxBOi is off the scale
    Send a message via AIM to AzNxViDxBOi

I think some units were produced somewhat defective while the majority of the 440N units that were produced were fine. However, there are some people who have had the same issue with being unable to burn DVD-R/RW like my unit (http://reviews.cnet.com/TDK_440N_In...g=top&fb=2&ob=0)

Last edited by AzNxViDxBOi : 11-09-03 at 10:53 PM.
    Old 11-10-03, 05:53 AM
    Deathwalker

I have the TDK burner reviewed in this article and, I too have issues with the burning of DVD-R media. I am currently using Memorex DVD media. I can burn standard data onto the DVD-R media but it absolutley refuses to Video DVD's on -R media. I for one am tired of the lame responces the community recieves from hardware vendors on the reasons as to why there products do not perform as advertised.
    Old 11-10-03, 07:30 AM
    Darth Chewbacca

Couple of comments..

1. DVD tests - Only DVD Videos? Why didn't you test with data DVD-ROM's or recordable media?

2. CPU usage - The drives don't really use 100% of the CPU. Some of them can't read DVD videos at 4x or 8x. That is the result CD Speed gives.

3. TDK Indi DVD - You should have gotten a different drive before dumping on its DVD-R/RW writing issues. The one you have obviously has problems (aka defective).

4. CD Read/Write - Where are these tests?
    Old 11-10-03, 01:00 PM
    Braders

Thumbs down

There is a mistake in your test. LG GSA-4040b is able to burn 4x even the cheapest media. I burned with a301 firmware for example Princo (the cheapes dvd-r disk ever seen by me - $1.35 in Poland) and TDK DVD-R - $2. The memorex media seem to me noname (i have very bed memoirs about their cd-r's) or very lame brand. The same as Princo but it is possible to burn it with proper speed. In my opinion you should update the test and check burning with media that is included in all drives atip databases (inside firmware) - use one brand for all drives. It is currently impossible to belive that every drive will burn every certified x4 media with proper speed. It requires time to update atip databases and release new firmware version. And one last thing in Poland when i bought the drive there were included Maxell's DVD-Ram disk - maybe i overlooked this information in your test (the price for this disk is about $12!).

In this situation you really should update review (GSA-4040b) and retest other TDK drive becouse it seem that the problem was not reported by other users - simply bad luck. The same as with my drive which were returned fot service after 5 days - burned died The electronic devices sold nova days seem to be sometimes faulty and there is nothing we can do about it. We have to pray that the faulty drive will fall in someone others hands :P

Braders the older one :P
    Czestochowa, Poland

-------------------
    And one last thing sorry for my lame english ;-)
    Old 11-10-03, 02:49 PM
    SLCentral Review Editor

AzNxViDxBOi is off the scale
    Send a message via AIM to AzNxViDxBOi

To Deathwalker, thanks for backing me up and cofirming that there are some known issues with the TDK 440N.

To Darth Chewbacca,
    I apologize if you hated the review, but I felt that DVD Video recording was more important (in my opinion). As for the CPU usage, that was a mistake on my part and I apologize. As a reviewer, my main concern is honesty. If I had returned the TDK 440N back, then the public would not know that some of the units are defective. And so if I did return it, and reviewed a non defective drive, people might end up getting a defective item and say I was not honest. In a way, if I did return the defective unit and reviewed a good unit, it would be lying to some extent (since I would be hiding the bad sides of the manufactuer). I knew that the TDK 440N has had some known issues with DVD-R and it wasn't just my unit, so I know that some people agree with me and my conclusion of its rating.

To Braders,
    Memorex is a big brand name here in the United States and is much better quality than Princo and such. In the review, I mentioned that LG did respond to me and they told me that I had to either use Maxell or Pioneer DVD-R to utilize 4x. If the GSA-4040B was not able to burn at 4x on a Memorex 4x DVD-R, it shows not how faulty the Memorex media is, but how inefficient the LG drive is. If Memorex was a cheap brand and costed 80 cents per disc and it did not burn at 4x on the GSA-4040B, then I would have used another media type to burn. However, since Memroex is an excellent brand name and the fact that the GSA-4040B was not able to burn at 4x on such a good quality disc indicates that the drive/firmware needs some improvement (even if it does burn fine with TDK media).

If I have the time, I will try to update the review but I am very busy at the moment and I apologize. I will try to update the CPU Utilization and explain why it is 100% but as far as the other changes go (such as returning the TDK 440N for another drive or testing different Media on the GSA-4040B, I find that it is unjustified because all I am doing is what every reviewer should do, and be honest. For the GSA-4040B to not be able to burn DVD-R is like saying a BMW Beamer can't use Mobile Premium gas. The mobile gas works great for other cars but it is the car's fault that it cannot use it. You obviously wouldn't say you should us another type of gas; you would probably say that the car should be able to use the gas (since its suppose to be such a good quality car. Similar situation for the TDK 440N. Sorry for the somewhat akward analogy).
    Old 11-11-03, 03:31 AM
    Unregistered

your article shows ignorance and lack of thought as you do not even know the advantage of dvdram:
    much safer for back up
    3x for dvdram is faster than 2.4x for dvdrws (when you said that it was slower)

so you said two stupid things, what is more your whole argumentation is very discussable:

The lg is very good with every blank dvds i have used, so maybe you should not use crappy media as a benchmark.

Maybe if you did your test correctly with normal medias, you would have had better performance with the LG too.
    Old 11-11-03, 04:47 AM
    braders

Quote:
    Originally posted by AzNxViDxBOi
    To Deathwalker, thanks for backing me up and cofirming that there are some known issues with the TDK 440N.

I didn't know abou such serius construction errors in this TDK Drive i know that LiTon 411 has the same issue.
    However it means that drives produced by TDK are lame. For example CDR drives TDK Cyclone produced few yeras ago was also a mistake and was not able to burn ANY CD with maximum speed without any unrecovable errors.

Quote:
    To Darth Chewbacca,
    I apologize if you hated the review, but I felt that DVD Video recording was more important (in my opinion). As for the CPU usage, that was a mistake on my part and I apologize. As a reviewer, my main concern is honesty. If I had returned the TDK 440N back, then the public would not know that some of the units are defective. And so if I did return it, and reviewed a non defective drive, people might end up getting a defective item and say I was not honest. In a way, if I did return the defective unit and reviewed a good unit, it would be lying to some extent (since I would be hiding the bad sides of the manufactuer). I knew that the TDK 440N has had some known issues with DVD-R and it wasn't just my unit, so I know that some people agree with me and my conclusion of its rating.

It doesn't mean that you should not request drive replacement during test. After statement that the second unit is also defective it would be fair to say it loud. It means that the whole firmware construction is wrong and the drive shouldn't be sold as dual format dvd writter.

Quote:
    To Braders,
    Memorex is a big brand name here in the United States and is much better quality than Princo and such. In the review, I mentioned that LG did respond to me and they told me that I had to either use Maxell or Pioneer DVD-R to utilize 4x.

Maybe in USA. Anothe good example that european customers opinion about some products is completly different. Memorex, Princo, Akoss, Melody are simply nonames with low quality. My own experiences with Memorex are much worse then with others brands mentioned above. Sometime ago the whole spindle (100 CDs) became a coaster while i tried to record it with few drives (the same low quality characterize Esperanza and Sigma).

Quote:
    If the GSA-4040B was not able to burn at 4x on a Memorex 4x DVD-R, it shows not how faulty the Memorex media is, but how inefficient the LG drive is.

The only thing that it shows is that the memorex media is not certified yet. Why? Becouse of quality? Becouse of lack of time?
    Or maybe becouse of stolen ATIP?

Quote:
    If Memorex was a cheap brand and costed 80 cents per disc and it did not burn at 4x on the GSA-4040B, then I would have used another media type to burn. However, since Memroex is an excellent brand name and the fact that the GSA-4040B was not able to burn at 4x on such a good quality disc indicates that the drive/firmware needs some improvement (even if it does burn fine with TDK media).

But MEMOREX is not fine brand name! At least not here in Europe! It is cheap media! And all curently is needed is the memorex move so the drive manufactures could certify disc.

Quote:
    If I have the time, I will try to update the review but I am very busy at the moment and I apologize. I will try to update the CPU Utilization and explain why it is 100% but as far as the other changes go (such as returning the TDK 440N for another drive or testing different Media on the GSA-4040B, I find that it is unjustified because all I am doing is what every reviewer should do, and be honest.

To be honest you should also look for solution to overcome difficulties. Others reviewers do that. For example if you have any polish speaking friend let him translate for you tests at www.cdrinfo.pl

Quote:
    For the GSA-4040B to not be able to burn DVD-R is like saying a BMW Beamer can't use Mobile Premium gas. The mobile gas works great for other cars but it is the car's fault that it cannot use it. You obviously wouldn't say you should us another type of gas; you would probably say that the car should be able to use the gas (since its suppose to be such a good quality car. Similar situation for the TDK 440N. Sorry for the somewhat akward analogy).

Gas .... Gas .... you mean petrol? Not LPG or CNG? Becouse if you were saying about gas the whole analogy is missed :P Sorry but my VW Passat is LPG (gas) fueled
    Old 11-11-03, 07:24 AM
    Unregistered

I think that you've kind of missed the point of DVD-RAM in your review. You stated that because it was so much slower to burn to than DVD-+RW that is was basically useless. The whole point of using DVD-RAM over an RW format disk is the fact that you can just use it as a super sized floppy disk(as stated earlier in the review), writing and deleting files at will. With an RW disk, even if you use packet writing software, you do not have the same kind of flexibility. A more accurate test of its usefulness would have been to back up 4GB of files to each type of disk, delete 1GB worth of them at random and replace with another 1GB worth of different files, timing just how long it takes you to complete the entire operation.
    Throwing out the DVD-RAM because it cannot compete while burning out a DVD video image is like reviewing a spanner and saying it is useless because it doesn't knock nails in as well as all the hammers in the review, without pointing out that it actually did a much better job of tightening up a few bolts. I think what I'm trying to point out here is that you wouldn't really use the DVD-RAM in the same way that you would use a DVD+-RW disk, it does have its uses, number one being the fact that you don't need to use any special burning software to write files out to it, just drag and drop from explorer.
    Old 11-11-03, 08:20 AM
    chrisb

Default Good review but...

Good review but I don't know why you gave the TDK 6 out of 10, it sounds like junk, let's call a spade a spade and give it a 1 or 2.

One thing you didn't touch on was compatiblity and the LG is great in that department. Saw a review where they took 4 or 5 drives, 4 or 5 different dvd players (home theater type) and all the media types each drive would burn, and tested every combination of media type/burner/player for compatibility. The LG ended up on top in that 1, I think it was compatible with every media tested on every player, it was the only one.

BTW dvd-r is by far more compatible for movies etc, yet another reason the TDK sounds like crap.
    Old 11-11-03, 12:52 PM
    Braders

Quote:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    I think that you've kind of missed the point of DVD-RAM in your review. You stated that because it was so much slower to burn to than DVD-+RW that is was basically useless. The whole point of using DVD-RAM over an RW format disk is the fact that you can just use it as a super sized floppy disk(as stated earlier in the review), writing and deleting files at will. With an RW disk, even if you use packet writing software, you do not have the same kind of flexibility. A more accurate test of its usefulness would have been to back up 4GB of files to each type of disk, delete 1GB worth of them at random and replace with another 1GB worth of different files, timing just how long it takes you to complete the entire operation.
    Throwing out the DVD-RAM because it cannot compete while burning out a DVD video image is like reviewing a spanner and saying it is useless because it doesn't knock nails in as well as all the hammers in the review, without pointing out that it actually did a much better job of tightening up a few bolts. I think what I'm trying to point out here is that you wouldn't really use the DVD-RAM in the same way that you would use a DVD+-RW disk, it does have its uses, number one being the fact that you don't need to use any special burning software to write files out to it, just drag and drop from explorer.

Ok you are right but LG GSA-4020B the older model works with DVD-RAM much better! Check out test @ www.cdrinfo.pl i haven't tried DVD-Ram with new firmware but with original i worked extremly slow. I will check it soon if i find a little bit time becouse it is impossible that newer drive works slower then older one and cheaper. GSA-4020 is indcated with slower dvd-ram write but works much faster.
    Old 11-11-03, 01:00 PM
    Braders

Default Re: Good review but...

Quote:
    Originally posted by chrisb
    One thing you didn't touch on was compatiblity and the LG is great in that department. Saw a review where they took 4 or 5 drives, 4 or 5 different dvd players (home theater type) and all the media types each drive would burn, and tested every combination of media type/burner/player for compatibility. The LG ended up on top in that 1, I think it was compatible with every media tested on every player, it was the only one.

Wasn't it Toms Hardware Guide test?
    Old 11-11-03, 01:46 PM
    braders

Quote:
    i haven't tried DVD-Ram with new firmware but with original i worked extremly slow. I will check it soon if i find a little bit time becouse it is impossible that newer drive works slower then older one and cheaper. GSA-4020 is indcated with slower dvd-ram write but works much faster. [/B]

My mistake the older drive is called GMA-4020B not like i wrote before GSA... sorry. How ever here are my tests:
    files size 4_393_308_963 bytes (4 movies with Marx Brothers)
    transfer shown by Total Copy only 2000-2333KB/Sec
    (2666 around 40% but late again 2000)
    start 23:08:00
    end 23:45:45
    it gives as only about 38 minutes for nearly full CD! Not as fast as it should be but fast enough and better then in all tests!

For other reliable results check
    http://cdrinfo.pl/cdr/hard/LG_GSA-4040B/8.php
    in my humble opinion tests performed by cdrinfo.pl are more accurate. I'm not working for them. But this image about dvd-ram have to assist what i said in previous post. Older drive seem to work faster but my current test with a301 onboard shows a little bit different results. I'm using Maxell's media attached to device. Maxell is made by Hitachi which coproduced this drive with Goldstar.
    Old 11-11-03, 03:40 PM
    bailey

I've got a TDK 440N and have used it to ONLY burn DVD-R media. I've burned over 50 DVD-R discs and all have worked flawlessly. I use Verbatim media, part number 94495. I ran into a few problems before burning some DVD images (before any writing occurred, so media was fine), which was easily fixed by applying the latest firmware.

I think you just have a flakey drive.