• Tech News
  • Deals
  • Prices
  • A Guru's World
  • CPU/Memory Watch
  • Site Info
  • SL Newsletter
    Recieve bi-weekly updates on news, new articles, and more

Forum home My SLBoards (Control Panel)View the calendar View the members list Read the FAQ Search the forums

Go Back   SLCentral Forum > Feedback > Content Feedback
    User Name
    Password

View Poll Results: Did you like this Review?
    Yes 8 66.67%
    It was alright 3 25.00%
    No 1 8.33%
    Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-03, 05:33 AM
    Webmaster

stevecentral is on a distinguished road
    Default Maxtor OneTouch 300GB External Hard Drive Review

Post your comments and questions on the Maxtor OneTouch 300GB External Hard Drive Review

Old 01-21-04, 03:17 PM
    Unregistered

Default Maxtor One Touch 300GB External Drive

Does this huge thing ever have to be defragmented? I was told that the built-in MS defrag program on XP and ME can't handle the size and one has to go 3rd party. But if you "never" have to defrag I guess it's moot.
    Old 03-03-04, 02:37 PM
    SLCentral Senior Editor

extremepc is on a distinguished road
    Send a message via ICQ to extremepc Send a message via AIM to extremepc Send a message via Yahoo to extremepc

I've never defragmented it as I use it just for storage, and I don't really need perfect performance...
    Old 04-30-04, 07:18 PM

thefreak0na1eash is off the scale

Is it plug & play? i understand the Dantz Retrospect Express software is just for backups. For instance if a friend has no net access and needs drivers is it as simple as taking my hard drive to his, plugging it in and leeching them? I am thinking of buying the Maxtor One Touch 120gb USB2.0 drive
    Old 05-01-04, 06:10 AM
    SLCentral Senior Editor

Send a message via ICQ to extremepc Send a message via AIM to extremepc Send a message via Yahoo to extremepc

Yes, it is plug and play . The software is not needed.
    Old 05-18-04, 03:10 AM

socrates17 is off the scale
    Send a message via Yahoo to socrates17

I have read quite a few comments on other hardware review/discussion boards that Maxtor drives "crap out" after a year or so. Has anyone had one long enough to comment on this either yay or nay??? I know they have decent warrantees but this is scant compensation for up to 300G of files stuck on a dead drive. The posters who had problems with Maxtor (and there were quite a few of them, not just 1 or 2) suggested either Seagate or Western Digital, both of which are thin on the ground at local retailers meaning an on-line purchase (not usually a problem, but) sight unseen. Thanks!!!
    Old 07-08-04, 10:06 PM
    Unregistered

I woulod like to use the Maxtor OneTouch 300GB External Hard Drive for a FTP purposes, I leave my computer on 24 hours a day. Has anyone had problems with over heating. Also does anyone else use theirs for FTP purposes???? Thanks
    Old 07-08-04, 10:24 PM
    SLCentral Senior Editor

You shouldn't have overheating problems; as there is a fan.
    Old 08-27-04, 08:47 PM

SteveSp is off the scale

As far as I can see I was taken in by what I thought was Maxtor's good reputation. Following is what I have found out since I bought this drive:

It is SLOW due to the SLOW transfer rate! Maxtor is using a FireWire 1394a chip at 400Mbps rather than the 1394b chip which goes at 800 to 1600 Mbps, and which is VERY AVAILABLE. This means that actual transfer rates may be faster with the older USB2! I should have LEARNED the difference between the different FireWire standards...just because Maxtor states FireWire doesn't mean anything!

Also, the Retrospect Software is an "Express" version - I guess not a full version. Although OEM somehow it is not even configured properly for the Maxtor drive. For example there is no advice in the Retrospect "HELP" for "One Touch." It is ignored. When you go to use the One Touch button it does not allow you any but the simplest backup. The advanced options in the Retrospect software are NOT at all intuitive through One Touch. For example I cannot find anyway to use that cute (One Touch) button on the drive using the encryption or compression options in the software.

In addition, due to the fact the Retrospect software is OEM (sic) it is not the latest version of Retrospect (6.5) and Maxtor has no upgrade that I can find on its website.

I made the mistake of buying this hardware believing that Maxtor, being a "respected" company would be using the latest hardware standards and would be using fully configured OEM software.
    Old 08-28-04, 06:37 AM
    SLCentral Senior Editor

Quote:
    Originally posted by SteveSp
    As far as I can see I was taken in by what I thought was Maxtor's good reputation. Following is what I have found out since I bought this drive:

It is SLOW due to the SLOW transfer rate! Maxtor is using a FireWire 1394a chip at 400Mbps rather than the 1394b chip which goes at 800 to 1600 Mbps, and which is VERY AVAILABLE. This means that actual transfer rates may be faster with the older USB2! I should have LEARNED the difference between the different FireWire standards...just because Maxtor states FireWire doesn't mean anything!

Also, the Retrospect Software is an "Express" version - I guess not a full version. Although OEM somehow it is not even configured properly for the Maxtor drive. For example there is no advice in the Retrospect "HELP" for "One Touch." It is ignored. When you go to use the One Touch button it does not allow you any but the simplest backup. The advanced options in the Retrospect software are NOT at all intuitive through One Touch. For example I cannot find anyway to use that cute (One Touch) button on the drive using the encryption or compression options in the software.

In addition, due to the fact the Retrospect software is OEM (sic) it is not the latest version of Retrospect (6.5) and Maxtor has no upgrade that I can find on its website.

I made the mistake of buying this hardware believing that Maxtor, being a "respected" company would be using the latest hardware standards and would be using fully configured OEM software.

Hi Steve,

The specific model line that SLCentral reviewed is quite dated, and therefore does not use the latest FireWire 800 standard. On top of that, very few systems already incorporate the new standard, the only company that sells their systems with FireWire 800, as far as I know, is Apple. My Powerbook does have Firewire 800, but since such a small market exists for the new standard at the time, the 800 spec may not be best at the current moment.

Spec-wise, FireWire 400 is slower then USB 2, but after extensive testing, not only by me, but also by other websites, it has been proven that Firewire is FASTER then USB 2.0 on external hard drive transfer speeds.

As for the software, I'm sorry to see that you were disapointed. I did not find myself using the software all that much, as I prefer using Explorer or the Finder in OS X to do my backups, I find this procedure easier and more intutive. It is stated on the box that it is the Express version, and usually the Express or Light versions are added to such hardware bundles, it didn't come to any surprise to me.

I'm sorry to see you dissapointed with such a device that I found incredibly useful, fast, and intuitive.

Best,

Daniel
    Old 10-07-04, 12:05 AM
    Unregistered

Question Maxtor onetouch 250GB or 300GB, which model is better

I am thinking about getting this 300GB one or get its another device of 250gb. The thing I dont understand is the RPM. The Maxtor OneTouch 250GB HD comes with 7200 rpm, but this only comes with 5400rpm. Does the rpm mean so much when it comes to the speed??? I personally prefer this 300GB model, but the rpm thing really bothers me. Does it mean this 300GB model will be slower than its 250GB model???
    Old 10-07-04, 06:46 PM
    Senior News Editor

Renz is on a distinguished road

When it comes to external drives RPM doesn’t make much difference since you are severely limited by the bus be it USB or Firewire. The only place this should be a concern is if the drive is a e.SATA.
    Old 10-08-04, 03:00 AM
    Unregistered

Laughing One more question

So, it means the 300GB one and the 250 GB one is not so much different when it comes to the data transfermation speed, isnt it? Anyone who uses the 300GB one can tell me if it's worth of buying? I am thinking about getting the 300GB one since RPM doesnt mean that much ..... any more suggestion before I place my order? THANKS
    Old 10-08-04, 03:01 AM
    Unregistered

Question

Sorry one more question, what is SATA???
    Old 10-08-04, 08:25 AM
    Senior News Editor

Renz is on a distinguished road

SATA – Relatively new interface for hard drives, CDs etc. In its current state it allows for transfers up to 150 Megs per second but only one device per channel.

The 300 Gig should be good.