• Tech News
  • Deals
  • Prices
  • A Guru's World
  • CPU/Memory Watch
  • Site Info
  • SL Newsletter
    Recieve bi-weekly updates on news, new articles, and more

Forum home My SLBoards (Control Panel)View the calendar View the members list Read the FAQ Search the forums

Go Back   SLCentral Forum > Technology > Gaming
    User Name
    Password

Old 07-24-01, 11:22 AM
    SLCentral.com Staff

Tom is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to Tom Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via Yahoo to Tom
    Default Massively Multiplayer Online Games

There seems to be a trend going to massively multiplayer online games these days. MMORPGs especially have increased in popularity and many new MMORPGs have come out of the wood work. Ultima Online, Everquest, Asheron's Call, and now Anarchy Online... there are lots more to come too... Gone are the days of non graphical MUDs, but now you've got vast 3D landscapes... I now i was trapped in one for a few months...

I think these types of games are so popular because they totally immerse you in the gaming experience. You not only interact with the gaming environment but you interact with other REAL people as well. You get that community feeling... you can be anybody or anything you choose to be. You can get away from reality and stress and just dive into a fantasy world... but you have to remember that it's only a game. You can't let it run your life or take over.

Upcoming MMORPGs I'm looking forward to are Atriarch (totally alien world very unique), Eve-Online, maybe Shadowbane, and Asheron's Call 2 if they ever finish it.

Anyone else here into MMORPGs? Share your thoughts on them... frankly I don't see myself playing any other type of game besides those kinds... Most games I play and get bored with after like a day. With these games I don't get bored until a few months or so down the road, and if it's a really good MMORPG, I won't get bored at all. That hasn't happened yet though. I mean it takes at least a couple months to actually get used to and learn the game.

I wish they'd make more games massively multiplayer and online. Example is gran turismo... that game would be awesome as a MMOG. These days it's about interacting with other real live people. There's no satisfaction in beating the computer anymore... but beating a real person and being able to talk trash... well that's priceless hehehehe I see a world where all games eventually will be an online multiplayer game, with of course optional single player support for those that are still into that. Diablo 2 is a good example. Let's hope the quality goes up though, I heard Anarchy Online didn't exaclty have a smooth launch...

2 Pentium III 1 Ghz 2 Alpha HeatSinks with 38 CFM Delta Fan | Abit VP6 | 512 MB PC-166 | Antec SX1030B with 4 High Output 80mm Sunon Fans | 2 30 GB IBm 75 Drives in RAID 0 | Plextor PlexWriter 16/10/40A | Mitsumi 40x CD-ROM | Generic 3.5" Floppy Drive | VisionTek Geforce 2 GTS 32 MB | Sound Blaster Live! Value | 3com NIC | Diamond Supra Modem | 19" Sony Monitor | Klipsch Promedia V.2-400 Speakers | PcMods.com Sound Sensitive Blue

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"

More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.
    Old 07-24-01, 12:39 PM

Poseilus is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to Poseilus

Diablo and LOD is massive on the internet!!!

Actually it is going really crazy. Go to ebay and search for "diablo 2 us west"

What you find actually in ebay is items that you collect when you play the game. And the prices are going crazy. Highest price was 1220$ THATS SICK!!!!

But there are rich fools out there that buy them.

Poseilus.
    Old 07-24-01, 12:45 PM
    Dancing Hero

Cutriss is off the scale

Well, Diablo II isn't really an MMORPG, since you can't have any more than eight players in a game at once. Still the principle is correct, especially in Battle.net. I was surprised as hell when I first saw people using Battle.net as a chat account instead of a means to play Starcraft or whatever...

I'm really looking forward to Galaxies, though. Everquest meets Ewoks? You're damn right.
    Old 07-24-01, 12:48 PM
    SLCentral.com Staff

Tom is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to Tom Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via Yahoo to Tom

yea high level accounts and loot from other games like Everquest and Asheron's call go for hundreds to thousands.... I remember last year while I was playing AC, some guy sold his level 60 characer (this was back when that was really high level) for like $5000 on ebay... I couldn't believe it... personally I sold my account level 54 and level 41 for $1700... The first time it went on ebay it finished at $2500, but the winner backed out. After doing it again it sold for $1700... it's crazy what people pay for these days but I'm not complaining...
    Old 07-24-01, 01:06 PM
    Unregistered

Default project entropia

I just read a news at 3dnews.net about the project entropia here the url http://www.project-entropia.com/ its a totally free MMORPG .

I just finish to read the FAQ about this game and i think this gonna be a huge one....they just begin to beta test yesterday .

Does someone have ever heard about it because for me its the first time .
    Old 07-24-01, 01:39 PM
    SLCentral.com Staff

Tom is off the scale

hmmm lookings interesting.... /me applying for the beta as I type....

2 Pentium III 1 Ghz 2 Alpha HeatSinks with 38 CFM Delta Fan | Abit VP6 | 512 MB PC-166 | Antec SX1030B with 4 High Output 80mm Sunon Fans | 2 30 GB IBm 75 Drives in RAID 0 | Plextor PlexWriter 16/10/40A | Mitsumi 40x CD-ROM | Generic 3.5" Floppy Drive | VisionTek Geforce 2 GTS 32 MB | Sound Blaster Live! Value | 3com NIC | Diamond Supra Modem | 19" Sony Monitor | Klipsch Promedia V.2-400 Speakers | PcMods.com Sound Sensitive Blue

Old 07-24-01, 02:43 PM

rstarr is off the scale

I'm applying to. Any free can't be all that bad!

Old 07-24-01, 06:42 PM
    Dancing Hero

Cutriss is off the scale

I wonder how they can possibly support it being free, though. Maintaining servers and paying support staff is an ongoing expense. They must expect to make enough off the initial sales to keep things going. Either that, or there's advertising in the works. I can see it now...Product placement in-game. You have Pepsi cans instead of healing potions... And you can't spend gold in the cities - They only take Visa.
    Old 07-24-01, 08:12 PM
    SLCentral.com Staff

Tom is off the scale

hehehe well the game has it's own economy... you can even buy credits with real money... that's probably where they're gonna get most of their revenue too... I know some rich folks will probably not care and buy a shit load of money... but then again there goes the balance in the game... looks interesting enough though. The graphics aren't that great though, I think it's similar to Asheron's Call, maybe even worse....

Old 07-25-01, 04:59 AM
    Unregistered

Default Damn!!!

Can you realize...10 000 to 100 000 in the same time . I wish they have a goo netcode for this game .
    Old 07-25-01, 05:26 AM
    SLCentral.com Staff

Tom is off the scale

yea and their goal is to have a million players online at once... i don't see it happening... I mean it's not happening with paid games so why would it happen for a free one? Hopefully I'll be able to get into beta and see for myself how this whole thing works...

Old 08-17-01, 11:08 AM
    Senior Lazy member

BuRz is off the scale

Quote:
    Originally posted by Cutriss
    I wonder how they can possibly support it being free, though. Maintaining servers and paying support staff is an ongoing expense. They must expect to make enough off the initial sales to keep things going. Either that, or there's advertising in the works. I can see it now...Product placement in-game. You have Pepsi cans instead of healing potions... And you can't spend gold in the cities - They only take Visa.

I just read a news on entropia about how they make money .

"Project Entropia is set in a futuristic online world in which human colonists fight for survival against dangerous alien creatures and marauding robot forces. The game will be distributed for free with no monthly subscription fee. Instead, players will be able to convert real money into in-game money with which to purchase new equipment and items. "

( ref: gamespot )

mmmmm...i dont know if this is good for the balance of the game . So if your rich you can be very equip and can have a lot of stuff but if you are a student working at the minimum wage it can harder for you in the game . I dont know if it is a good idea to mix reality and virtuallity .
    Old 08-17-01, 12:14 PM
    Dancing Hero

Cutriss is off the scale

Quote:
    Originally posted by BuRz
    mmmmm...i dont know if this is good for the balance of the game . So if your rich you can be very equip and can have a lot of stuff but if you are a student working at the minimum wage it can harder for you in the game . I dont know if it is a good idea to mix reality and virtuallity .
    I presume that there will also be some work involved here as well. For instance, like Diablo, you have to have certain minimum stats to equip basic weapons, and if they're enchanted, the stat requirements go up. Thus, I can't give you a Flaying Sword of Pestilence if you're an L2 Barbie.

Still, I do have to agree with you on the point of game balance. I would think that the game will have in-game currency that can be earned outside of *paying* them, of course. I'm just curious how seriously they'll take counterfit payments and things like that. I mean, how do you reprimand a player who makes a bogus account, pumps it up with $1000 from a stolen credit card, and then buys stuff to immediately transfer to another player?
    Old 08-17-01, 12:48 PM
    Unregistered

Quote:
    Originally posted by Cutriss

I mean, how do you reprimand a player who makes a bogus account, pumps it up with $1000 from a stolen credit card, and then buys stuff to immediately transfer to another player?

Thta a good point there . It sure that some hacker gonna find a way to hack this system by a way or another . I mean when real money is there is sure that some people gonna try to hack it .

I hope they have a good security system .
    Old 08-17-01, 03:10 PM
    SLCentral.com Staff

Tom is off the scale

security is always a problem, even with the current games out there... With any MMORPG, selling accounts/items from in-game on ebay is already rampant.

In Asheron's call there have been reports of E-bay sellers recalling their sold accounts after they have gotten the money. There's a loophole in the zone account policy that supposedly lets a person reset the account password as long as they have the CD-key I think... so unscrupulous individuals sell their accounts, get the money then use that to get their accounts back... since MS doesn't support selling accounts in the first place, they're not gonna do anything...

But legitimately bringing in a system to convert real money into virtual cash is another story. People with lots of cash to spend will pay to advance in the game... well it depends on the exchange rate they have...

hacking of accounts and things like that aren't even dependent on game security, but individual security... hackers use trojans and backdoor programs to gain passwords and some lucky ones manage to use brute force to gain account access... most games are secure when it comes to accounts, but they can't control player intelligence...

Project-entropia is going into the next phase of beta btw and a certain someone might be in it hehehehe but cause of NDA I can't really say much...