• Tech News
  • Deals
  • Prices
  • A Guru's World
  • CPU/Memory Watch
  • Site Info
  • SL Newsletter
    Recieve bi-weekly updates on news, new articles, and more

Forum home My SLBoards (Control Panel)View the calendar View the members list Read the FAQ Search the forums

Go Back   SLCentral Forum > Technology > Hardware
    User Name
    Password

Old 08-22-01, 10:14 AM

Adler is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to Adler
    Question problem with overclocking/cooling

trouble is the noise drives me nuts, anyone find good ways to reduce noise?
    Old 08-22-01, 10:24 AM
    Student-for-life

Paul is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to Paul Send a message via AIM to Paul

I believe Sunon and Taisol (mike, correct me if I'm wrong) tend to be the quieter types of fans. Of course, you'll sacrifice a little bit of air movement over something like a Delta, but the noise is considerably lower.

Noise is why a lot of people move towards water cooling...not that I am recommending that.

I guess keeping the case airflow clear, and strategic placement of fans, and the use of top-notch thermal interface materials is the best I can offer for advice. I'm sure others will know more
    Old 08-22-01, 05:01 PM

rstarr is off the scale

Like Paul said...There is noway to reduce noise unless you reduce fan size and that would equal higher temps.

Ensuring good airflow is key to a cooler system. Again, what Paul said.

I got some of the new rounded ATA 100 cables, and made sure I had a good fan in the front and back of the PC. Make sure your front fan is blowing in and your back fan is blowing out. This will
    help alot on airflow. The cables help to, because they don't restrict airflow as badly as the wide cables. Also a blow hole
    out the top of the pc can reduce inside case temps by 2 or 3 degrees. Heat rises and will collect at the top of the case.
    A blowhole will get rid of that "trapped" heat.

Once your happy with the fan placement and the temps go down, then try to replace the high speed noisy fans with a lower speed quieter fan.

Also one other trick. Place the Case below your desk to help deadin the noise level.

Old 08-24-01, 09:56 AM

jTek99 is off the scale
    Lightbulb

Ok, Guys your gonna think I'm nuts but I have done this on a few of my own systems that were louder than a glasspack muffler.
    Its called Dynamat. It is a sound dampening material used on automobiles that compete in sound contests. The material is applied on door panels, trunk panels, underhoods etc. to keep the noise IN the car. When these contests are judged the recording device is put IN the car, not the outside. So I said to myself, self- will this work on my computer?
    So I went and purchased some Dynamat, just enough to cover the side panel I take on and off. (By the way, if you put this on both sides of your case you will be adding ALOT of weight)
    Installed the dynamat (which is like a really thick, tarry silly putty with one side that is very, very sticky) and cranked up the machine.
    E-Gods!!! Man that puppy got quiet...I would say my DB level dropeed about 20DB's (like I said my case was really, really loud, you can ask jonnyguru about the noise level)
    The draw backs are this, dynamat is kind of expensive. About 40bucks for each side of the case. It makes your case about 15-20lbs heavier (so if you have to walk aways for your lan parts your in deep shit)
    And the installation is a little bit of a pain. The material is kinda stiff and hard to work with sometimes.
    Other than that the stuff is awesome. I have a swiftech Mc462A heatsink and fan, 3, 60mm case fans, 2 80mm case fans, and 1 120mm case fan, so you can guess how loud it was..

Athlon XP2200
    Swiftech MC462A Cpu Fan/Heatsink
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP KT333
    764MB Crucial PC2700 DDR
    Gainward CardXpert Geforce3 3.8ns
    S.Blaster Audigy
    Klipsch Promedia 5.1
    (2)80GB ATA133 W.Digital 7200rpm
    in RAID 0
    Old 08-24-01, 11:14 AM
    SLCentral.com Staff

Tom is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to Tom Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via Yahoo to Tom

hehehe actually I've been thinking of doing this for the last couple years now but dynomat is so expensive... if I had the extra cash I'd do it... I've heard people putting their cases in foam and putting dynamat all over the place... to me it's overkill and I've gotten used to the noise hehehe

2 Pentium III 1 Ghz 2 Alpha HeatSinks with 38 CFM Delta Fan | Abit VP6 | 512 MB PC-166 | Antec SX1030B with 4 High Output 80mm Sunon Fans | 2 30 GB IBm 75 Drives in RAID 0 | Plextor PlexWriter 16/10/40A | Mitsumi 40x CD-ROM | Generic 3.5" Floppy Drive | VisionTek Geforce 2 GTS 32 MB | Sound Blaster Live! Value | 3com NIC | Diamond Supra Modem | 19" Sony Monitor | Klipsch Promedia V.2-400 Speakers | PcMods.com Sound Sensitive Blue

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"

More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.