• Tech News
  • Deals
  • Prices
  • A Guru's World
  • CPU/Memory Watch
  • Site Info
  • SL Newsletter
    Recieve bi-weekly updates on news, new articles, and more

Forum home My SLBoards (Control Panel)View the calendar View the members list Read the FAQ Search the forums

Go Back   SLCentral Forum > Technology > Hardware
    User Name
    Password

Old 04-23-02, 10:37 PM
    Forgot Plan

amistadcliffman is off the scale
    Question Printing: usb or printer port.

I have my printer connected via printer port and noticed that while printing it seams to be a system resource hog. My mouse moves jerky and slow. When I had it connected as usb, I didn't have this annoyance. I've also noticed this on some other peoples computers. Is this normal or are we doing something wrong? I'd go back to usb, but I don't have a 10foot usb cable.

So which one is faster. I've heard both ways and from my experience they print about the same. Just that usb doesn't have that annoyance, although it does have an erratic tendency to forget it's been installed if I unplug it and then put it back.
    Old 04-24-02, 08:14 AM
    Dancing Hero

Cutriss is off the scale
    Default Re: Printing: usb or printer port.

Quote:
    Originally posted by amistadcliffman
    I have my printer connected via printer port and noticed that while printing it seams to be a system resource hog. My mouse moves jerky and slow. When I had it connected as usb, I didn't have this annoyance. I've also noticed this on some other peoples computers. Is this normal or are we doing something wrong? I'd go back to usb, but I don't have a 10foot usb cable.

So which one is faster. I've heard both ways and from my experience they print about the same. Just that usb doesn't have that annoyance, although it does have an erratic tendency to forget it's been installed if I unplug it and then put it back.
    For immediate gratification, USB is far faster than Parallel. USB is capable of 12Mbps transmission. Parallel at ECP rates maxes out at 2Mbps.

If your system is locking up like that while you're printing, then you probably need to change your parallel port mode in your BIOS. It should be under Integrated Peripherals. Set it to ECP or EPP/ECP (If you have that). Assign it to a free DMA channel (Preferably DMA 3), and reboot. Windows will detect the new port settings, and your printing will go much more smoothly.
    Old 04-24-02, 08:54 AM
    Forgot Plan

amistadcliffman is off the scale
    Red Face

Excellent, Thank you. That worked. Come to think of it, I think it says something about this in the manule, but who ever reads those.
    Old 05-05-02, 05:27 AM
    Cautious Optimist

kgwagner is off the scale
    Default Re: Printing: usb or printer port.

Quote:
    Originally posted by amistadcliffman

As Cutriss has already mentioned, USB is much faster than parallel, although even that can be a problem, depending on the printer.

Just as there are Winmodems, there are Winprinters, although they aren't advertised or identified as such. Essentially what the difference is, is how much processing is left up to your computer as far as rendering pages is concerned. It's similar in concept to graphics cards - all modern graphics cards have on-board processors to render the graphics - all the CPU has to do is see to it that the desired data makes it to the card. Winprinters are like graphics cards without GPU's. You CPU does the rendering, and sends it to the printer, which is a purely reactive device. It literally prints what it's sent. This eats up CPU cycles, which is reflected in the performance loss you experience.

I see where you have more or less solved your problem, so that's good. But, for future reference, or anyone else who's reading here, a postscript printer is better all-around unit, since it has an on-board processor, memory, and data manipulation code all built in. That allows the printer to just grab whatever gets sent to it, and deal with it on it's own instead of tying up the print requester's resources. This is why you see the big price difference between say, a Lexmark X83, and an equivalent HP Office jet. A postscript printer can be likened to an external controller-based modem, where an X83 is more like a controllerless internal windmodem. This distinction is especially important to multi-user printer setups, or people who run OS's other than Windoze.

I learned this stuff the hard way, when I got out of Windows and started using Linux almost exclusively. Almost all inkjets anymore are Winprinters, and most lasers are not. Lasers sorta have to have some built-in intelligence to operate at all in the first place, so that kinda makes it hard to turn them into winprinters.

Last edited by kgwagner : 05-05-02 at 05:29 AM.
    Old 05-05-02, 07:55 AM
    Dancing Hero

Cutriss is off the scale
    Default Re: Re: Printing: usb or printer port.

Quote:
    Originally posted by kgwagner
    I see where you have more or less solved your problem, so that's good. But, for future reference, or anyone else who's reading here, a postscript printer is better all-around unit, since it has an on-board processor, memory, and data manipulation code all built in. That allows the printer to just grab whatever gets sent to it, and deal with it on it's own instead of tying up the print requester's resources. This is why you see the big price difference between say, a Lexmark X83, and an equivalent HP Office jet. A postscript printer can be likened to an external controller-based modem, where an X83 is more like a controllerless internal windmodem. This distinction is especially important to multi-user printer setups, or people who run OS's other than Windoze.
    Same goes for the Macintosh. Macs are buch better printing to PostScript printers.

Incidentally, before I quit working at a particular office supply retailer, the HP LaserJet 6Pse was $599...and the LaserJet 6MP was $799. The only differences were that the 6MP has a bit more onboard memory (for PostScript fonts), and has PostScript support. Of course, I own a JetDirect 300X, so printing to the 6P from a Mac isn't a terribly big deal, using GhostScript or PostScript.