• Tech News
  • Deals
  • Prices
  • A Guru's World
  • CPU/Memory Watch
  • Site Info
  • SL Newsletter
    Recieve bi-weekly updates on news, new articles, and more

Forum home My SLBoards (Control Panel)View the calendar View the members list Read the FAQ Search the forums

Go Back   SLCentral Forum > Technology > Hardware
    User Name
    Password

Old 05-05-03, 09:06 PM
    Forgot Plan

amistadcliffman is off the scale
    Default buying a laptop

After this semester, I've decided I better get a laptop before August. Thing is, I really don't know anything about them since I never though I'd get one. I'm wondering what to look for, upgradeability, and stuff like that. How about a good place to get them cheap?

And a question about the preconfigured OS. Can I refuse to accept the terms of the os, presumably winXP, and get a refund from microsoft or the laptop maker. I can get and have both winXP and win2000 from my school for $8 and Linux for free, so that's an additional expense I don't need. I remember hearing about a linux group that did this, but I am not sure they got the refund.

Any information will be appreciated.
    Old 05-06-03, 08:23 AM
    SLCentral Editor

fizzyl is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to fizzyl Send a message via AIM to fizzyl

Hey, don't make the same mistake I did, I plopped down $3000 for a laptop with all my summer money and graduation money, it was a big waste, it became outdated in like 2 months (unfortunately thats too long after the 30 day return period). I would recommend getting the best laptop you can afford, there are some really good deals floating around (I would get an Intel Centrino setup if I was in the market for a laptop now).

At the risk of sounding like a Costco ad, if you happen to live near a Costco I suggest looking into their laptop situation. The sweet thing is that they have a SIX MONTH return policy, which is absolutely insane, you can buy a computer and exchange it every 6 months for a new one for free. I am fairly certain it is still around because I have some friends that "update" their computers there regularly. Of course make sure they still have that policy before you buy, but i suggest looking into that. Also, if you go with a big brand get as long a warranty as you can. I know first hand that Dell and IBM will replace anything and everything that breaks for free within like 2 days, including the LCD, the entire motherboard, or even the whole laptop.

-Matt
    Editor, SLCentral
    Old 05-11-03, 09:25 AM

Grim is off the scale

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and LOVE it!

It doesn't matter what type of computer you get, its going to be outdated the second you buy it. Laptops are the worst at this.

With laptops there isn't much upgradeability, so get the best one you can. I like the Dell Inspiron's because you can get a fast system (up to 2.4 right now), with a fairly decent hd (up to 80 gig), with a fairly decent graphics card (Radeon Mobile 9000). I'm not saying its going to be the fasted gaming rig, but I game on mine and it does a fairly good job.

Plus Dell has awesome warranties. If anything ever breaks they have the replacement part to you the next day.

Thatís just my opinion.
    Old 05-11-03, 11:43 AM
    SLCentral Musician/Mod :)

Leht Samson is off the scale
    Send a message via AIM to Leht Samson

Make sure that when you get your laptop it doesn't have a graphics card that uses system memory. That's a big no-no. I need a laptop too. It could be really sucky too though...I am just gonna use it so I can go wireless while playing Asheron's Call. So any of you people out there that have a sucky laptop you don't need you can always send that to me

Old 05-12-03, 01:05 PM
    Forgot Plan

amistadcliffman is off the scale

I should mention that I do not play games anymore. So mostly I would need the laptop to be able to do Orcad PSpice, Matlab, and openoffice. And of course divx/dvd and audio. My athlon 900 will all do this fine, so I don't think I will have a problem with lack of computing power.

I noticed that Compaq has some very nice looking systems for $700 after rebate at Best Buy. It's very tempting, but I wonder how prices will look in August.

Thanks for the replies.
    Old 05-12-03, 01:11 PM
    SLCentral Editor

fizzyl is off the scale
    Send a message via ICQ to fizzyl Send a message via AIM to fizzyl

I think the ones that Costco has are Compaqs, maybe the rebates will work there too.