How did my homepage get set to res://mshp.dll/index.html#10213 or something similar?
Here's another example of the many variants of the Coolwebsearch homepage hijacker. It changes your homepage to res://mshp.dll/index.html#10213. Although using the normal steps to remove one of the many variants of coolwebsearch should remove it, it appears this variant is also part of a trojan virus called TROJ_IEFEATS.A . Because of this I have modified these directions to include instructions for removing the possible trojan as well as the homepage hijacker.
How do I Remove Lookfor.cc homepage hijacker and IEFEATS.A trojan?
1) Start Windows in Safe Mode by pressing F8 as the computer is booting and choosing Safe Mode
2) Remove the Registry entries
Click on Start, Run, Regedit
In the left panel go to
In the right panel, right-click and delete the following entry (if it exists)
iefeats1Update = "rundll32 <path to virus>\iefeats1.dll,UpdateDlls"
Close the Registry Editor
3) Delete the infected files (for Windows ME and XP remember to turn off System Restore before searching for and deleting these files to remove infected backed up files as well)
Click Start, point to Find or Search, and then click Files or Folders.
Make sure that "Look in" is set to (C:\WINDOWS).
In the "Named" or "Search for..." box, type, or copy and paste, the file names:
Click Find Now or Search Now.
Delete the displayed files.
4) Reset Internet Explorer Homepage and Search Page
Close all Internet Explorer windows.
Open Control Panel. Click Start>Settings>Control Panel.
Double-click the Internet Options icon.
In the Internet Properties window, click the Programs tab.
Click the “Reset Web Settings…” button.
Select “Also reset my home page.” Click Yes.
4) Reboot the computer and download and run CWShredder, created by Merijn of Spywareinfo.com. Merijn has an entire page devoted to CoolWebSearch and its many variants.
You can download CWShredder by clicking on this link.
5) Run a thorough virus scan using your favorite antivirus program or Housecall, Trend Micro's online virus scanner.