As I said earlier, the VIA chipsets are known for having lower memory performance. To get the most out of it, everyone has been tweaking their memory settings either using built in BIOS settings or through external programs. Abit has taken the liberty of including memory tweak settings in the BIOS as opposed to leaving it up to us users to use external programs. The Advanced Chipset Features Setup Menu has all the memory settings. These included DRAM Timing for Bank 0/1, 2/3, 4/5, 6/7, DRAM Bank Interleave, Delay DRAM Read Latch, SDRAM Cycle Length, Memory Hole, P2C/C2P Concurrency, and Fast R-W Turn Around. Actually nowadays, many motherboards include some type of memory tweaks. Don't be afraid to play around with these settings. If it's too much for the system, you can always just restart and set it back to the default values. You'll want to focus on the DRAM Timing for the different banks, the Interleave, and Cycle Length. Setting the DRAM timing for the different banks is useful if you have different quality memory modules there. It will probably take you a few tries to get the optimal settings for your system.
After testing on different memory settings, I began noticing some instability problems. I tested each of the DIMMs separately to narrow down the faulty memory. It turns out that 2 of the 4 128 MB memory modules from The Overclockerz Store were defective. They wouldn't run stable at CAS2 in 133 Mhz FSB when they were rated at 166 Mhz FSB 2/2/2. So I swapped out the 2 defective pieces for my Mushkin Basic PC133 which actually performed better. Even mixing the Micro BGA memory from OCZ with the Mushkin memory still saw great results. I managed to run the system stable at 143 Mhz FSB with that combo. Now many motherboards out there are picky when it comes to using different memory modules. Especially the Micro BGA PC166 modules which might need some special settings according to OCZ. Fortunately the VP6 is very tolerant when it comes to that. Eventually, I did get replacement memory from The Overclockerz Store. Their customer service department actually gave me a call to let me know they were sending it out etc. With the 2 new 128MB sticks I managed to get the system running stable at 150 MHz FSB, which translates to 1.13 Ghz. So now that memory wasn't a problem, let's go see how well the system performs.